This is a super-easy mac and cheese that you can throw together in under 10 minutes... and then wait 3 hours to eat. I'm making this for a Sunday ham dinner, should be a great side item, ready in about the same time as the ham takes to cook.
crockpot mac and cheese
16 oz elbow macaroni
4 T butter
1 pint whipping cream
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 t ground mustard
1 t paprika
1 t dried thyme
fresh ground pepper
1. Boil the macaroni, drain, then place in crockpot.
2. Cut the butter into small pieces, then mix into the still warm macaroni until it melts.
3. Mix in whipping cream, then the beaten eggs.
4. Mix in the cheeses, reserving some (1/2 cup or so) for adding to the top later. Add the spices and mix well.
5. Turn the crockpot to low and cook for about 2.5 hours.
6. If your crockpot can put in the oven, heat the oven to 400F, sprinkle the remaining cheese across the top, and put in the oven until the cheese melts -- about 10 minutes.
I'm certainly not calling this the greatest mac and cheese ever, but it's pretty easy to put together. I'll try to make some improvements on it in the future. Any suggestions? Anyone?